Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Blah Humbug

I guess it's just that time of year....the time for the BLAHS! Every year at Christmas we all miss someone/something that we love/loved. We all face the same empty spot/place/cavernous void. Usually we moan/groan and pretend that the spot is in our wallet/budget. We bemoan the fact that we do not have all the $$ that we crave/need to fill that vast emptiness. But the real emptiness is from a person/thing that is gone from our lives albeit physically/emotionally/spiritually.

I flit from bouncy to blah just by a phone call/memory/not so well thought out comment from a spouse. It doesn't take much to get me spinning from one to the other. I try to stay upbeat/happy but sometimes the force of BLAHNESS is just too powerful. It can wrap it's furry tentacle around my happy mood in a heartbeat.

I don't know why I believe that BLAHS have furry tentacles but in my mind BLAHS are like land based Octopi. They are similar in shape but are furry like a childs soft toy octopus. However, they have the requisite slimy suckers on the soft underside of their very fuzzy tentacles. They also come in fun colors, made to mix/match to suit your needs. Purple for the really down/dejected among us. Pink for the ones missing their sisters/mothers/daughters/female friends. Blue for they that miss their brother/father/son/male friends. Green for those bemoaning the Earth's impending doom. Match the ribbon/bracelet to the Octopi. They also exist in multi-colored hues. Each tentacle can be colored to match the corresponding dismal dejection.

When I'm feeling the lonely/down hearted/dejected I just picture my dejection octopus. Right now it has a black body/blue fuzzy tentacles/red slimy suckers. It is pulsing with power. Angry at my need for it's existance. Ready to be on it's way. I watch as it grows larger/stronger. With each pulse it's colors glow. My mind makes it grow as large as a mans head. Then I pick it up and heave it onto that "not so celebral" spouses head!

And my mood instantly changes! He looks awfully silly with a black/blue/red Octopus sitting on his head like an ill fitting hat. Those red slimy suckers slurping onto his face, giving him little round hickeys which will turn into black/blue bruises soon! When I feel that he has suffered enough, I pull the tentacles off his head. Whistle a happy tune and put away my Octopus for another day.

No comments: